Sunday, March 2, 2014

JOBS!!

Seems like everyday another business is letting employees go or going out of business. I worked as an accountant or over 25 years and several companies that I worked for, both large and small, went under. I can tell you that the signs are always there. If you see them, be prepared. Here are just a few:

 1. The company's president or CEO calls a meeting (or, more likely these days, sends an email) to announce to all employees that the company is solid and that the circulating rumors have no basis in fact.
2. Meetings (see #1) that used to be fully catered at the Sheraton are now held in the cafeteria with the vending machines.
3. The accountants (or any one who works with the balance sheet) look nervous.
4. You are asked if you can wait a week for your paycheck....I was asked this question on 3 occasions. I asked why. One person answered that I looked like I was doing pretty well and could afford to wait. I asked what gave him that impression. He answered (I swear to God this is true!) "Your hair."
5. Your supervisor replaces your box of tissue with a roll of toilet paper.
6. Your supervisor must check the trash in your waste basket to make sure it is full before you throw it away. 

 BY THE WAY, I AM NOW PUTTING TOGETHER A NEW STORYTELLING SHOW TITLED "JOBS."

No comments:

Post a Comment